FAQ - in English - Italienska
8 min läsning

Here you can find the answers, divided by topic, to the most common questions about online courses in Italian.
Foto: Johan Wallin


Are online academic courses easier than traditional courses?

No, they follow the same curriculum and syllabi as campus courses. Some students think they can do their studies after a working day; this is possible but students need to be aware that online courses have the same workload as traditional studies.

Are there any obligatory campus meetings?

No. All courses are held completely online: teaching, exams, student tutorials. However, online classes are obligatory according to the set timetable.

I don't have any Italian qualification/exam record, but I know Italian because I am a native speaker/because I studied/lived in Italy for a long time. May I enrol in an Italian course?

Yes. However, you will need to pass a placement test, both oral and written, with one of our teachers.

To arrange this test you need to contact support@du.se. Due to the high number of requests, please allow time for this and get in touch with us as soon as possible.

How many courses do I need to pass to complete a 30 credit level?

In order to complete the first part of Undergraduate Level 1 (Grundnivå 1 - första delen), 30hp, you need to take and pass the following 4 courses:

Offer each term:

Italian A: Phonetics and Oral Proficiency, 7,5 credits

Italian A: Grammar and Written Proficiency, 7,5 credits

Italian A: Culture and Society, 7,5 credits (fall term 19 and spring term 29: Central Italy)

Italian A: Text analysis, 7.5 credits (fall term 19 and spring term 20: A Literary Journey in Central Italy)

In order to complete the second part of Undergraduate Level 1 (Level B) - Grundnivå 1 - andra delen, additional 30 credits, you need to take and pass the following 4 courses:

Fall Term:

Italian B: Grammar and Written Production, 7,5 credits

Italian B: History of Literature with Text Analysis, 7,5 credits

Spring Term:

Italian B: Oral Proficiency and Cultural Knowledge, 7,5 credits

Italian B: Italian Language, Past and Present, 7,5 credits

In order to complete Undergraduate Level 1 (level C), you need to take and pass the following 3 courses:

Italian Linguistics, 7,5 hp

Italian Old Literature, 7,5 hp

Essay in Italian, 15 hp

Do I need to take 4 courses per term (30 hp); may I choose how many courses I want to study each term?

In order to facilitate your studies, we have planned our curriculum in a flexible way. Therefore you can choose freely if you want to study full-time/100% (4 courses); 75% of full-time (3 courses); part-time 50% (2 courses) or 25% of full-time (1 course) according to the time you think you can realistically commit to your on-line studies.

Also from a psychological point of view, it is advisable not to enrol for more courses than those you can actually complete, otherwise you risk to lose confidence in yourself and not to terminate your studies.

Considering that courses can be chosen freely within each and every level of studies, which courses is it advisable to prioritize from a pedagogical point of view?

Having said that you are free to choose the sequence and the number of courses you like, for those interested we generally suggest this order:

Undergraduate Level 1, first part:


Italian A: Phonetics and Oral Proficiency, 7,5 credits

Italian A: Grammar and Written Proficiency, 7,5 credits


Italian A: Culture and Society, 7,5 credits

Italian A: Text analysis, 7,5 credits

Undergraduate Level 1, second part, Grundnivå 1:

Fall term:

Italian B: Grammar and Written Production, 7,5 credits

Italian B: History of Literature with Text Analysis, 7,5 credits

Spring term:

Italian B: Oral Proficiency and Cultural Knowledge, 7,5 credits

Italian B: Italian Language, Past and Present, 7,5 credits

Undergraduate 1. 3th part


Italian Linguistics, 7,5 credits

Italian Old Literature 7,5 credits


Essay in Italian, 15 credits


Does a 7,5 credits course correspond to 5 weeks of scheduled classes?

No, our 7,5 and 15 credits courses last for an entire semester.

This is the method we consider most effective to learn a language, by that we mean to work continuously for a number of months instead of studying short, intensive courses.

Timetable, scheduling and attendance

What time are the courses running?

Italian classes are mostly scheduled in the evening, after 18:00.

Sometimes, if there are many students in one course and it is necessary to break the number down and divide students in smaller groups, it is possible that we try to arrange morning sessions for one of these smaller groups.

Lessons are scheduled from Monday to Thursday evening, so that Friday evening and weekends are always free.

Also, when we arrange the timetable we make sure that classes belonging to the same group (for example, Undergraduate level 1, first part: 4 course as mentioned above) do not overlap.

Are classes obligatory?

Yes, they are.

When you study on-line class-participation is important. During class time it is possible to ask questions, receive instructions and helpful suggestions from the teacher, and it is also possible to express your ideas and share problems, as well as socialize and give/get help to/from your fellow students. It is very easy to get discouraged and lose motivation when you study on your own, without any contact with teachers and other students.

For this reason our classes are obligatory and it is very important to take active part in them.

I couldn't attend an obligatory class. What is it going to happen? Can I make up for it somehow?

You have to take active part to 80% of the classes; if you miss more, you need to re-take the course in the following term. E.g.: if your course has 10 classes, you have to participate at least to 8 classes.

Missed classes (for any reason) can't be made up for, exactly as in a traditional course at Campus. For this reason it is very important to try not to miss classes.

Classes cannot be recorded.

May I choose independently how to manage my study time?

Not completely. You have a set time given by the teacher to complete assignments and homework, generally this is one or two weeks. It is certainly up to you to decide in which part of the day you want to study. On-line classes, as mentioned before, take place mostly in the evening.

The teacher decides deadlines for assignments (essays, tests, homework, etc.) and also the dates of on-line classes.

Necessary technical equipment (hardware and software)

What technical equipment do I need in order to attend on-line courses?

A desktop computer or a laptop, not older than 4-5 years. We advise against the use of mobile devices such as tablets or mobile phones. In order to follow on-line classes you must have a headset and a webcam. For the online written exams you also need an standalone webcam (i.e. not integrated into the frame of the computer screen).

We recommend you to have a headset with an entrance USB. We do not recommend, however, the use of Bluetooth headset or headphones with microphone (like the ones used for mobile phones).

What are the system requirements I need?

You need a fixed internet connection. The speed must be at least 0.5 Mbit / s in both direction (download and upload), but we strongly recommend connection speed of at least 2.0 Mbit / s. You can check your connection speed here: Bredbandskollen.

We do not recommend the use of wi-fi or mobile connection (e.g. USB internet sticks), because the speed can drop drastically if the weather conditions are not good.

What software do I need on my computer in order to follow the Italian courses without any problems?

For online classes you need:

Connect add-in is required for screen sharing and can also solve some sound problems that some users may encounter. When you want to share your screen for the first time, your computer will install the add-in automatically and you will have no choice but to follow the instructions.

Adobe Connect add-in Windows

Adobe Connect add-in MAC

Our university offers to all its students the possibility to install and use for free the Windows Office package 365 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.) on their computer. 

Adobe Acrobat Reader is useful to read the files in PDF format (free download from the Adobe web site)

Where can I test my equipment to see if everything is working properly?

You must test your equipment (especially microphone and webcam) before the course, so that you will not have problems during the first meeting which will be held on-line on the Adobe Connect platform.

In the room "Support cafe" on the Connect Meeting Portal (the first room at the top of the list), you can test your equipment and get help from our technical support.

Technicians are available all working days from 8.00 to 22.00 (Fridays only until 15).

I have never used before the video Adobe Connect conferencing platform. How can I learn to use it?

The Adobe Connect platform is very intuitive and easy to use. But if you feel insecure, we recommend you to attend an introductory lesson to Adobe Connect given by our technicians at the beginning of the term. The schedule of the introductory classes can be found on the Connect Meeting Portal

Where do I find the manuals for the use of Adobe Connect?

Guides on the use of Adobe Connect 

Who should I contact if I have technical problems?

For any other technical problem please contact the support: support@du.se. Please remember to give clearly information in the email header about the problem you are having (e-mail, log in, Connect, etc.).

Course literature: books and handouts

Do I need to buy all the books mentioned in the course outline document?

Yes, you need to. All the books included in the literature section are necessary and you need to get them before the course begins (you can buy them, new or second hand, or borrow them from a library).

However, remember that a number of works which do not have copyright (this generally expires 70 years after the death of the author), such as Divina Commedia, I Promessi sposi, ecc., can be downloaded from the internet at no cost from a number of websites, as for example www.liberliber.it

The books that are under the Reference literature section are not obligatory, but they are suggested reading, so you can decide if you want to buy them or not.

Being a distance student, can I borrow my course books from the University library?

Falun University library has got one copy of every book included in the courses' literature. Books can be sent to your home address (only if you live in Sweden) for a month, but the expenses for returning the books are on you.

Naturally there is a queue system depending on when you put through your book request. For further questions on the Library and the borrowing system, please have a look at:


I already have a book included in the literature, but I don't have the most recent edition. May I use it anyway?

Naturally you can if the book is a dictionary or a grammar book.

Double check with your teacher in any other case, course books and exercise books can vary considerably depending on editions.

Is there any bookshop in Sweden where I can order the books?

You can buy course books wherever you prefer, also in Italy if possible; in any case every term the Italian Department send comprehensive book lists to the following bookshop:

Studium Bookshop 

Karlavägen 4

tel 08-660 03 86

e-post: studium@ferdosi.com

Teacher contacts

May I use my private email address to communicate with teachers?

We don't recommend it. Communication with teachers should run through the University email account that you receive when you enrol.

This is a requirement both for security and privacy reasons. However you can download your University post on your private email account. Ask support@du.se how to do.

If I write an email to a teacher, shall I expect an instant answer?

No, you shall not. Teachers have their working hours and they don't sit constantly in front of the computer. Your teacher will reply as soon as possible but you need to let him/her the necessary time. Generally, our policy is to answer to all emails that require an answer within three working days (so not including weekends and public holidays)

I sent an assignment or a test to the teacher, how long shall I wait to be sure to have it back marked?

Generally, teachers have about 15 working days at their disposal (so not including weekends and public holidays) to mark your homework/assignments.

Shouldn't this happen, try to contact your teacher first, he/she might be ill for example, and then, if you do not have a reply, the subject coordinator.

Temporarily or Permanently residents abroad

I am permanently resident abroad. Is there anything particular I should think about?

First of all, make sure you have your books on time; this might actually take longer if you are abroad. Do the same for any extra material you need.

If you reside in countries outside Europe which have a much different time (Asia, Australia, South America, etc.), obligatory classes might take place at awkward hours for you. 

I will be away during term time and I will be able to connect only using shared computers in an internet café. Can I access Adobe Connect from an internet café?

Relying on a well-functioning internet connection is extremely important for an on-line course. Before you leave, please make sure you have all the necessary information to ensure that everything will be working. You can possibly access internet abroad with a portable broadband device you can buy in many countries, or you can maybe ask friends or relatives to access internet from their computers, if that is the case. In any case, contact support@du.se before you leave, so that they are informed and they can suggest what to do depending on circumstances.

Senast granskad: