A Programme for Fast-Paced Data Management
The sheer amount of data that is being produced each and every day is redefining our world: according to IBM, 90 percent of all current data has been created in the last two years alone. The collection and evaluation of this data can transform behaviours, business models, markets and every imaginable organisational structure. The Data Science Programme at Dalarna University prepares you to be at the centre of this transformation working within private companies, public organisations and research institutions.
Our programme provides you with both hands-on training in the collection and interpretation of data as well as broad knowledge and an understanding of how data analysis is used for decision-making within organisations. You will gain a unique cross-disciplinary skill-set that will prepare you for jobs both in the present day and in the future.
Should you apply?
If you want to have an impact on data-driven decisions that affect the daily operations of companies and organisations, then you will find your calling in our Data Science Programme. If you have previously received a degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or IT from an internationally recognised university and if you have documented knowledge of English proficiency, then you are strongly encouraged to apply to our Data Science Programme.
Please note that if you have a degree in Statistics, Economics or Business then you can apply for our Master's Programme in Business Intelligence with the possibility of continuing to the second year of the Master's Programme in Data Science.
How To Apply
Applying to the Data Science Programme is quick and easy. Just complete these two steps:
- Click on the blue "Apply" button to the right. Create a user account at universityadmissions.se and add the programme to your account in the online application portal (note: the "Apply" button is only visible when we are accepting applications).
- Submit documents verifying your eligibility to your user account at universityadmissions.se. This way we will be able to verify that you fulfill the entry requirements .You can read about how to properly submit documents based on where you have previously studied at universityadmissions.se.
This programme uses two selection processes to determine applicant admission.
Letter of Motivation
The first and main selection is based on a letter of motivation that you must write and upload to your user account on UniversityAdmissions/Antagning.se no later than February 1st, 2020. The letter should not exceed 3000 characters (including spaces). It should state your academic and professional history, with relevance for the programme, as well as provide a statement as to how the programme will benefit your future career. There is no letter template that you need to use.
The second selection is determined by your fee-paying status. A number of spaces will be alloted to students who are required to pay tuition fees and a number of spaces will be alloted to students who are exempt from tuition fees.
Entry Requirements (Academic Year 2019/2020)
Specific Entry Requirements
- Completed bachelor's degree with a major in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or Data Science, equal to a Swedish Bachelor degree comprising at least 180 credits (60 credits = 1 academic year full-time study), or an equivalent degree.
- Documented English language proficiency equivalent to English B/English 6 at Swedish upper-secondary school (more information below).
Documents to Submit
- Completed bachelor's degree with a major in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or Data Science, comprising at least 180 credits (60 credits = 1 academic year full-time study), or an equivalent degree or currently completing the final year of studies leading to such a degree.
- A letter of motivation, if provided will be used as part of the selection process.
- Proof of English proficiency equivalent to English 6 at the Swedish upper-secondary school.
Documenting English Language Proficiency
The most common tests and important scores that are accepted are:
- IELTS (academic training), 6.5 (with no part of the test below 5.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): 90 (with a minimum of 20 on the written part)
- TOEFL (paper-based): 575 (with a minimum of 4.5 on the written part)
Please check the University Admissions information on English Language Proficiency to see if you are required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS result.
270 000 SEK (total)
*EU/EEA Citizens are not required to pay tuition fees.
Tuition fees are paid in one-semester installments and the first payment (67 500 SEK) must be paid no later than June 1st for the programme starting in the autumn term and no later than November 10th for the programme starting in the spring term. This allows for reasonable processing time for a residence permit application.
If you have any questions about tuition fee payments, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are a number of scholarships available for successful applicants to the Data Science Programme who are not EU/EEA citizens.
For more information about scholarships, please visit our webpage about international student scholarships or contact us using the contact form on this website.
This programme is a two-year master's degree in Data Science. All courses are taught in English.
The programme comprises 120 credits (1 credit = 1 ECTS) and commences twice a year, in January and late August. After passing all courses, including the thesis work, you will be awarded the degree Master of Science (120 Credits), Main Field of Study: Microdata Analysis.
The following courses are mandatory for getting a degree with a major in Data Science:
- Business Intelligence
- Statistical Learning
- Data Collection and Data Quality
- Economics of Leadership
- Machine Learning
- Master's Thesis (30 credits)
The following courses are also available within the Data Science programme.
The Master's Programme in Data Science from Dalarna University will prepare you for work in an expanding global industry as well as for further studies at the PhD level, including Dalarna University's PhD Programme in Microdata Analysis.
Possible future positions for our graduates are as follows:
- Data Warehouse Developer
- Growth Trends and Peak Business Periods Analyst
- BI Manager
- Architect and Developer in Business Intelligence
- Marketing Database Analyst
Data Science: a Career for the 21st Century
The short- and long-term outlook for graduates of Dalarna University's Data Science Programme is extremely favourable. In the "The Future of Jobs Report" published in 2018, the World Economic Forum writes that "Four specific technological advances—ubiquitous high-speed mobile internet; artificial intelligence; widespread adoption of big data analytics; and cloud technology—are set to dominate the 2018–2022 period as drivers positively affecting business growth"
Dalarna University's Data Science Programme will provide you with the practical and theoretical knowledge in machine learning, AI and big data analytics to make you an attractive candidate for a variety of job positions.