A Programme for Fast-Paced Data Management
The sheer amount of data that is being produced each and every day is redefining our world: according to IBM, 90 percent of all current data has been created in the last two years alone. The collection and evaluation of this data can transform behaviours, business models, markets and every imaginable organisational structure. The Business Intelligence Programme at Dalarna University prepares you to be at the centre of this transformation working within private companies, public organisations and research institutions.
Our programme provides you with both hands-on training in the collection and interpretation of data as well as broad knowledge and an understanding of how data analysis is used for decision-making within organisations. You will gain a unique cross-disciplinary skill-set that will prepare you for jobs both of the present day and of the future.
Should you apply?
If you want to have an impact on data-driven decisions that affect the daily operations of companies and organisations, then you will find your calling in our Business Intelligence Programme. If you have previously received a degree in Statistics, Economics, Business Administration, Computer Science, Information Science or Informatics from an internationally recognised university and if you have documented knowledge of English proficiency, then you are strongly encouraged to apply to our Business Intelligence Programme.
How To Apply
Applying to the Business Intelligence Programme is quick and easy. Just complete these two steps:
- Click on the blue "Apply" button to the right. Create a user account at universityadmissions.se and add the programme to your account in the online application portal (note: the "Apply" button is only visible when we are accepting applications).
- Submit documents verifying your eligibility to your user account at universityadmissions.se. This way we will be able to verify that you fulfill the entry requirements .You can read about how to properly submit documents based on where you have previously studied at universityadmissions.se.
This programme uses two selection processes to determine applicant admission.
Letter of Motivation
The first and main selection is based on a letter of motivation that you must write and upload to your user account on UniversityAdmissions/Antagning.se no later than September 1st, 2020 (for the spring 2021 intake). The letter should not exceed 3000 characters (including spaces). It should state your academic and professional history, with relevance for the programme, as well as provide a statement as to how the programme will benefit your future career. There is no letter template that you need to use.
The second selection is determined by your fee-paying status. A number of spaces will be alloted to students who are required to pay tuition fees and a number of spaces will be alloted to students who are exempt from tuition fees.
Entry Requirements (Academic Year 2020/2021)
Specific Entry Requirements
- Completed bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Business Administration, Computer Science, Information Science or Informatics equal to a Swedish Bachelor degree comprising at least 180 credits (60 credits = 1 academic year full-time study), or an equivalent degree.
- Documented English language proficiency equivalent to English B/English 6 at Swedish upper-secondary school (more information below).
Documents to Submit:
- Proof of a completed bachelor’s degree, equal to a Swedish bachelor's degree in one of the approved subject areas. It is also possible to apply if you are currently completing the final year of studies leading to such a degree.
- A letter of motivation, if provided will be used as part of the selection process (see above).
- Proof of English proficiency equivalent to English 6 at the Swedish upper-secondary school.
Documenting English Language Proficiency
The most common tests and important scores that are accepted are:
- IELTS (academic training), 6.5 (with no part of the test below 5.5)
- TOEFL (Internet based): 90 (with a minimum of 20 on the written part)
- TOEFL (paper based): 575 (with a minimum of 4.5 on the written part)
Please check the University Admissions information on English Language Proficiency to see if you are required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS result.
135 000 SEK (total)
*EU/EEA Citizens are not required to pay tuition fees.
Tuition fees are paid in one-semester installments and the first payment (67 500 SEK).
In order to have a reasonable time to process a residence permit application you should pay the tuition fee be paid no later than June 1st for the programme starting in the autumn term and no later than November 10th for the programme starting in the spring term. Later payments are allowed but may affect your ability to get a residence permit in time to commence your studies.
If you have any questions about tuition fee payments, please e-mail email@example.com.
There are a number of scholarships available for successful applicants to this programme who are not EU/EEA citizens.
For more information about scholarships, please visit our webpage about international student scholarships or contact us using the contact form on this website.
The programme is a one-year master's degree in Business Intelligence. All courses are taught in English.
The programme comprises 60 credits (1 credit = 1 ECTS) and commences twice a year in January and in late August.
The following courses are mandatory for getting a degree with a major in Business Intelligence:
- Business Intelligence
- Data Analysis and Visualization
- Economics of Leadership
- Risk Analysis
- Master's Thesis (15 credits)
The following courses are also available within the BI programme.
- Python- and R- programming
- Data Warehousing
- Statistical Learning
- Data Collection and Data Quality
- Logic & Maths
Degree of Master of Science (60 Credits), Main Field of Study: Business Intelligence
The Master Programme in Business Intelligence from DU will prepare you for work in an expanding global industry as well as for further studies at the PhD level, including DU's PhD Programme in Microdata Analysis. You can also continue to the second year of the Master's Programme in Data Science offered by Dalrana University upon completing the BI programme.
Possible future positions for our graduates are as follows:
- Data Warehouse Developer
- Growth Trends and Peak Business Periods Analyst
- BI Manager
- Architect and Developer in Business Intelligence
- Marketing Database Analyst
Business Intelligence: a Career for the 21st Century
The short- and long-term outlook for graduates of Dalarna University's Business Intelligence Programme is extremely favourable. Restaurants, professional sports teams, retail giants, e-commerce sites and banks are just a few examples of the organisations already implementing BI to improve their organisation so that they can be the leaders in their particular field or industry. Not least, The Harvard Business Review writes that Data Scientists have "the sexiest job of the 21st century", while the US Department of Labor predicts strong growth in the number of positions in the next decade for individuals with a skill set in BI.