Residence Permits - EU/EEA Citizens

If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, then you do not require a residence permit to study in Sweden. If you are a citizen of Switzerland, you do not need a residence permit to study in Sweden unless you plan to stay longer than three months.

Residence Permits - Non-EU/EEA Citizens

If you are not a citizen of an EU/EEA country, then you need a residence permit to study in Sweden. Apply for this as soon as you receive your decision about admission (from Dalarna University for exchange students and from for other international students) and before you arrive in Sweden.

To get a residence permit to study in Sweden, you must be registered as a full-time student: this means you are registered each semester for 30 credits worth of courses that are taught in campus classrooms.

The Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket) issues residence permits. Apply online at or at a Swedish embassy/consulate in your country of residence. However, we recommend the online application.

The application process for a residence permit normally takes at least two to four months. To prevent delays, be sure to include all the requested documentation when you submit your application.

You must be able to demonstrate your study goals and you must submit the document proving you have been admitted to the university: the document might be called "Admission Decision" or "Notification of Selection Results". You must also demonstrate that you can support yourself financially during your studies by providing, for example, a verification of your bank account.

If you are studying for less than one year, the Migration Board requires that you have comprehensive health insurance that is valid in Sweden. The Migration Board knows that Dalarna University provides this insurance; therefore, you do not need to present documentation of insurance when applying for a residence permit. 

Last reviewed: