The "Supportcafe" i Zoom. Here, you are always welcome to come and try Zoom.
If you have questions about Zoom you are welcome to e-mail email@example.com, visti the "Supportcafe" or call 023 77 88 88
Introduction for students
Welcome to an introduction. No sign up but please check your sound before. https://du-se.zoom.us/my/zoomkurs
- Tuesday, January 21. 13.00-14.00
- In Swedish:
- Monday, January 20. 15.00-16.00
- Wednesday, Januari 22. 10.00-11.00
The first time you are in a meeting?
You need a computer with microphone and headphones as well as a camera. It is also possible to use a smart device ("smartphone").
- Start by going to the meeting address. E.g. this for Support Cafe:
https://du-se.zoom.us/j/4435785681 . The adress can also look something like this: https://du-se.zoom.us/my/supportcafe
- Install the program. An installation file is downloaded. "Open" or "Run" it. See detailed instructions below under " Install Zoom on Your Computer ".
- When the program is opened select "Join with computer audio".
If you do not want to get that box more times, check "Automatically join audio by computer when joining a meeting".
- To get the program on full screen, click on the square far up to the right. See the right picture below.
- At the bottom left of the program you have sound settings. Click up arrow to the right of the microphone icon to bring up the menu.
- If you have a USB device, it may read "Jabra", "Logitech USB headset" or possibly "USB Audio Device".
- Similarly, you can change the camera with the button to the right of the camera icon
- If you want to turn off your microphone, click "Mute" at the bottom left. It then becomes a red line over the microphone. Click it again to start again.
- You can turn off your video image by clicking "Stop Video".
Book / schedule a meeting in Zoom
If you don't want to schedule meetings using the website, you can just use your own meeting that you find under "Personal Meeting ID" and destribute that to your students along with the hours of the meeting. Preferably in Learn.
You find your Personal Meeting ID here: https://du-se.zoom.us/profile, it looks like this: https://du-se.zoom.us/j/460727301 but with your own number at the end.
- Log in and click "Schedule a Meeting" at the top right. The direct link is: https://du-se.zoom.us/meeting/schedule
- Topic: Fill in what the meeting is about. For example: "Meeting on course AA1001".
Description: you can fill in a little more detailed here, but it is not necessary
- When, Duration, Timezone. When will the meeting begin and how long will it last?
"AM" is morning and "PM" is afternoon. ex. 12 AM = 00.00 (midnight), 1 AM is 01.00, etc. 12 PM is noon , 1 PM is 13.00 and so on.
You can let the time zone be Stockholm.
- Recurring meeting is whether the meeting should be recurring. You might want to have the meeting once a week on Mondays 8-10 (AM) for seven weeks.
- Registration means that the students / participants must register in advance to be able to participate if you check the box "Required".
Then the participants will get a link to a registration page where they must register. When they do so, they automatically get the link to their meeting.
- Video. If the video images will be started immediately when the participants enter the meeting. It's nice if they are, but you decide.
You are the host (and you can add more colleagues if you wish).
Participant is everyone else.
- Audio. How the participants can listen and speak. You can choose only by phone, just computer or both. The recommendation is both. Then everybody gets to choose for themselves how they want to connect.
You can choose which country's phone number is first. The participants can select any country in a large list. The recommendation is to have Sweden at the top. You can adjust this with the "Edit" button.
- Meeting options.
Require meeting password. Here you can set whether a password is required to participate in the meeting or not. If you check the box, you also need to enter one.
Enable join before host. If the participants / students are allowed to enter the meeting before you or not. Recommended is yes / checked. Then the students can say hello to each other, check the sounds etc. before you enter.
Mute participants upon entre. If you check it, the participants' microphones are turned off when they enter the meeting. Otherwise they are on. However, many browsers (including the Google Chrome) block the microphone and the participant must approve it. The participants who run the program start the sound directly for unless you choose to mute it here.
Use Personal Meeting ID. Everyone who uses Zoom has their own meeting room with unique ID numbers. In this example, it is 902-377-8147. If you check the box, your meeting will receive the same ID number. The advantage of this is that you, who book, access it a little easier and that you can set it up for all your meetings (so you always have the same link to the meeting). The downside is if you book a meeting 10-11 and an 11-12 then the participants in the later meeting can disturb them in the previous meeting if they come in a bit before it is over.
Enable waiting room. You as a host then release the students one by one. Good at examinations when Abby has 10.00 and Beatrice 10.20 in the same room. Then you can let Beatrice wait until Abby is ready and then let her in.
- Alternative Hosts. If a colleague should be host in your absence. If there are several colleagues then have a comma between their email addresses. For example: firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com
These colleagues will receive an email about this.
- Save.If you are satisfied, click Save and the meeting is ready.
You can download Zoom from here or enter a meeting. You will then be prompted to download it. It is possible to run Zoom in your webbrowser (for example "Google Chrome") but using the program/app is recommended.
- Click on the file that has come to the bottom left. See the left picture below.
- Click "Run" to install the program. See the right picture below.
- The program is started and you enter the meeting.
- Click "Run" at the bottom. See the picture below.
- Save the file that comes up. See picture 1 below.
- Click the arrow far up to the right. See picture 2 below.
(It also ends up with "Downloaded files" on your computer.)
- Click on the program to open it. See Figure 3 below.
- Click "Run" to install the program. See picture 4 below.
Figure 1. Save the file.
Figure 2. Open downloaded files
Figure 3. Open the program.
Figure 4. Run the installation..
Using Zoom on you mobile device
App for Android at Google Play.
App for iOS (iPad, iPhone) at App store.
App for Blackberry.
You can enter your meeting from your webbrowser by clicking on a Zoom-link (like this one: https://du-se.zoom.us/j/460727301) or by starting the app and click "Join". Then enter the Meeting ID (for example: 460827301)
Using Zoom on your Linux computer
- Once the program is installed you get a small window promting you to "Join a Meeting" or "Sign in". Click on "Sign in".
- Click on "Sign in with SSO" up to the right.
- Type "du-se" before "zoom.us". (Note: not "du.se")
Then click "Continue".
You will then see the University's normal sign in page. Sign in normally there. It could happen that you do not get this sign in page if you already have signed in.
(du-se.zoom.us is thus the universitys domain.)
- Move your mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen and a new menu will appear.
- Click "Share" on the bottom.
- Choose the screen, or window (part of screen), that you wish to share.
Click on the one that you wish to share and it will become green. If you wish to share the sound on your computer (when showing part of a movie or lecture), remeber to click "Share computer sound" at the bottom left.
- Start your presentation. In this case it is a powerpoint file.
Note that there is a green frame surrounding the screen and that the video image is shown at the top right. You can move around the video image as you choose but the other participants will not see it.
- Choose the size of the video images. You have three sizes to choose from. You see three rectangles top left on the video images.
Tip! If you have two screens, you can share one screen and have the participants on the other.
If you only have one screen, the number of participants with video images that you can see is limited to five.
Teachers: If you only have one screen, please talk to your boss about getting one more.
- Start your presentation normallty.
(In Microsoft Powerpoint you can use the F5 key)
- When you have shown/shared the material you can click "Stop Sharing" at the top.
If you would like to record yourself, for example a Powerpoint presentation, you can use Zoom for that. Here is a short guide:
- Turn on recording in your meetings. That setting is "Local recording". Click on the icon to the right of the text and it will become blue (=on).
If you get the question about turning it on, click "Turn on".
You find the setting here:
(Once you have done it, you don't need to do it a second time)
If necessary, you might have to sign in using your username (something link: h18abcde) and password that you normally use at the University.
- Click "Start your meeting" at the top on this page or use this link:
- You might have to login again. Same username and password in that case.
- You might have to install the program Zoom. You find instructions hereDu kan behöva installera programmet Zoom. Instructions are further up on this page.
- Once the meeting starts, make sure that you are using the correct camera and microphone. You can find instructions further up on this page.
- If you wish to show a presentation, you can do that. See "Show materials to the others..." on this page.
Vill du visa en presentation också kan du göra det. Se "Visa material för de andra" längre upp på denna sida.
- Click "Record" at the bottom right to start the recording.
If you can't see "Record" it might bee under "More". Then it is called "Record on this Computer".
(If it doesn't exist at all, please make sure that you checked "Local Recording" at https://du-se.zoom.us/profile/setting?tab=recording , then leave your meeting and start it again.
- To stop the recording, click on the stop-sign (the square).
- When you leave the meeting, a windows will appear showing you the saved files. Your computer might work a short while, depending on how much you recorded.
The file named "audio_only" is just that, only the sound. But if you have for example an assignment to record you talking a foreign language you can use this file (unless your teacher want's the video too).
The file "zoom_0" is the recording with video.
The file "playback" can be ignored.
Can my computer, and internet connection, handle Zoom?
Zoom writes that the program adapts to your computer. If you have a weak/slow connection, it might affect the video images. Judging from Zooms own list of system requirements a computer bought new in the last 10 years will probably be able to run Zoom.
More important is the internet connection. If you want the best quality, a connection of no less then 1.5 Mbit/s, both up and down, is recommended. But if you have a slower connection, Zoom will adapt to that and still give you a good meeting.
We have not been able to test all kinds of connections but if hav experiences of delay ("lagg") in your meeting, that the other participants video images are strange or some other error, we are most intressested in knowking about this. You can for example e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can meassure your internet connection at Bredbandskollen.