Apply for Exchange Studies!
To go on an exchange, you need to apply to be nominated by Dalarna University: the start-to-finish process is explained below.
Application period for the next academic year (2019-2020):
January 1st to February 15th, 2020
Deadline to apply for remaining places within the EU for spring 2021:
September 15th, 2020
1. Decide on a Semester
If you are a programme student, read through your programme syllabus and contact your Programme Director to help plan your exchange. If you are a non-programme student, contact a study counsellor to find out how your studies can include an exchange study period.
2. Find a Partner University
Nordplus is a Nordic network that allows for student and staff mobility for long and short exchanges
3. Prepare Your Application Documents
- A motivational letter where you explain why you want to go on an exchange
- Programme students need to upload a recommendation from the programme coordinator
- If you are taking single subject courses, upload a study plan that shows how you plan to complete your degree
- Certificates from the Student Union or other merits (optional)
Application for Outgoing Students (this link takes you to a portal: log-in may be required)
We look forward to nominating you for exchange studies as soon as we have processed your application. If we receive many applications for an exchange, then we make a selection based on set criteria: see Exchange Studies: Qualifications and Selection Criteria.
5. After Nomination
- Ahead of and during your Erasmus exchange, you can take an online Erasmus+ preparatory course: see Erasmus+ Language Courses.
- When you have accepted the nomination, we will call you to attend an information meeting. We will send a nomination email to the partner university. No later than five weeks after this, the partner university will email you a welcome letter with instructions on how to apply for courses and accommodation.
- When you have found the courses you want to take at the partner university, you need to prepare a Learning Agreement (LA). You can prepare it online here or by completing this form. Send the LA to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will complete and return the document to you. A preliminary LA must be ready before the semester starts and at the latest one month after the start of courses. Contact us if your course selection changes.
- The partner university will send a Letter of Acceptance to you once it has accepted your application. Forward this to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. During the Exchange
- Register your exchange in studentladok.
- We would like you to inform others about the opportunity that exists to study at Dalarna University when requested to do so by the partner university. Contact us if you need help with this.
- You will take a Dala Horse with you: order one from our International Office. Use it in photographs that we would ask that you send to us for our internationalisation campaign. At the end of your exchange, give the horse to somebody at the partner university or at the place you lived whom you found to be especially helpful.
- Before returning to Sweden, request a Transcript of Records from the partner university. It will normally be sent directly to you.
7. After Your Exchange
- The Transcript of Records you ordered from the partner university is sent either to your home address or directly to Dalarna University. If you receive it at home, send a certified copy to email@example.com. The credits for the courses you completed successfully are entered into Ladok as soon as we receive your Transcript of Records. We also post the decision to you.
- If you are an Erasmus student, you will complete a web-based evaluation and may have to take a language test upon your return. In both cases, you will receive an email from our Erasmus Coordinator with links and instructions.
- Upon your return, we would appreciate your help informing other students about exchange opportunities.
8. Important Information
Erasmus Student Charter
- Erasmus and Nordplus students receive a grant: we send you information about this as soon as you are nominated.
- Contact CSN if you receive funding from them and want to retain this during the exchange. CSN automatically receives information about your exchange studies; however, they may also need documentation about your exchange.
During the exchange, you have insurance through Kammarkollegiet: see our Insurance webpage. For exchanges within the EU, also order an EU-kort from Försäkringskassan (applies only to Swedish residents).