On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a good knowledge of central ideas in discourse analysis, based on a good understanding of central concepts and principles in discourse theory from a linguistic perspective
- explain what is meant by discourse and demonstrate an understanding of the different definitions of what comprises discourse
- communicate an understanding of current theoretical issues and trends in discourse analysis
- critically and independently apply discourse theory to texts and demonstrate an understanding of the implications of applying discourse analytic methods to texts
The course consists of in depth studies in discourse analysis based primarily on linguistic theory. The course covers a number of different traditions in discourse research, including conversation analysis and critical discourse analysis.
The course is examined partly on a continual basis on students’ oral and written performance and partly on a final paper.
Forms of Study
Teaching consists of lectures, seminars and text analysis exercises. All teaching is done in English. Participants also work independently applying methods of analysis to a number of types of texts.
The Swedish grades U - VG
- 90 credits in English including 30 credits in English at First cycle, level 2 or equivalent knowledge
The course was part of the Main field of English until 2015-08-01.