After completing the course the student shall be able to:
- Setup and perform building energy simulations.
- Select appropriate tools for a given simulation purpose (such as for load calculation, system simulation and building energy simulation).
- Select/identify appropriate simulation strategies and procedures to fit the aim of the given simulation.
- Interpret model results and identify errors.
- Understand the performance of a building using numerical simulation and offer suggestions for energy saving.
Building energy simulation is the focus of this course. It introduces building performance simulation (BPS) by covering different approaches to BPS calculations and simulation set-up (such as the selection of appropriate parameters and boundary conditions). It continues with a review of simulation strategies and quality control techniques that assist in an understanding of the limitations and advantages of different BPS tools. This understanding will help students to select the most appropriate tool for a given simulation purpose. Finally, the student conducts a case study analysis for a selected building through load calculation, system simulation and building energy simulation. Through this study, the student gains valuable experience with building energy modeling, and learns how to analyse, interpret and present the results.
- Project work: written report and seminar presentation (5 credits).
Forms of Study
Lectures, laboratory work, supervision and seminars.
The Swedish grades U, 3, 4, 5
- Bachelor of Science degree from building-, energy technology or civil engineering related fields, or a similar degree of at least 180 credits. Documented language proficiency knowledge equivalent to English B/English 6 at Swedish upper secondary school or equivalent knowledge
This course cannot be included in the same degree as BY2022.