Apply for Accommodation (Housing)

Dalarna University works with two companies, one in Borlänge and one in Falun, to find students accommodation (also called housing) for during their studies. We advise you to register for accommodation as soon as possible before your arrival, especially if you are coming to Dalarna with children.

There are three steps new students should follow to secure accommodation.

  1. Decide where you plan to live.
  2. Register in the student housing queue with the municipal housing companies.
  3. Apply to specific student rooms/apartments through the municipal housing companies

Borlänge or Falun?

Consider your field of study when deciding where to live: the distance between the towns of Borlänge and Falun is about 20 kilometres. It takes about 25 minutes by bus between the two towns and about 50 minutes by bus between campuses. We therefore recommend that you find accommodation in the town where you will be studying.

Fields of Study: By Campus

Campus Borlänge Campus Falun
  • Computer Science & IT
  • Economics & Business
  • Graphic Design
  • Technology & Engineering,
    Solar Engineering
  • Tourism
  • Culture and Languages
  • Health Care & Medicine
  • Languages
  • Media Studies
  • Sport & Health
  • Teacher Education

Tunabyggen in Borlänge offers student apartments and rooms in two different areas of town that are both close to downtown, Campus Borlänge, sporting facilities, and shopping. You pay rent for only 10 months (June and July are rent-free), and the rent usually includes water/electricity and internet connection. Most rooms and apartments are furnished (bed, mattress, pillow, desk, chair, clothes storage).

Most student accommodation in Borlänge is located in an area called Tjärna ängar, a 10-minute walk to Campus Borlänge.

The main student accommodation building is called Locus. It is popular among international students and has a small gym/workout room and an activity room for social events.

Facts – Locus:

  • Corridor: basic furnished room for sleep/study; 1 kitchen per 6 rooms; shared laundry
  • Shared apartments: own room; shared living room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry
  • Internet: students organise this themselves

Kopparstaden is the company in Falun that owns the student accommodation called Britsen.

Britsen is especially popular among international students at Campus Falun. It offers individual unfurnished and furnished apartments in a corridor-like setting, each with its own kitchen and bathroom. From there, it takes about 25 minutes to walk to campus, 25 minutes to walk to the train station, and 20 minutes to walk downtown. There are also several supermarkets close by.

Buses run from Britsen to central Falun (Knutpunkten), where you change to catch one to Campus Borlänge or Campus Falun. (Although note that it takes less time to walk to Campus Falun.)

Facts – Britsen:

  • Rooms/apartments about 23 square metres
  • Own bathroom, shower, small kitchen
  • Shared laundry facilities
  • Internet: included in the rent

There is often a queue for student accommodation. To enter your name in that queue, you need to register with the housing companies. You can do this even before you are admitted to the university. The sooner you register in the queue, the better your chances of securing somewhere to live.

If you are coming with family, contact the companies at least four months ahead of the start of the semester so that you can enquire specifically about housing for families.

Register for Accommodation (Housing)

You register with Tunabyggen in Borlänge and/or Kopparstaden in Falun, regardless of the subject you will be studying. When you register, you submit your Notification of Selection Results (admissions decision) to the housing companies either by uploading it with the registration form or e-mailing it after you submit your registration.

International Students at Campus Borlänge: Register for accommodation here  

International Students at Campus Falun: Register for accommodation here

After you register in the queue, the respective company will contact you.
You will then need to actively apply for accommodation as it becomes available.

Accommodation coordinators can help you find housing if you have been unsuccessful through Kopparstaden or Tunabyggen.

The website provides information in English about alternative accommodation, such as rooms in houses or privately owned apartments.

For more information please visit

Temporary/Other Forms of Accommodation

For temporary accommodation, you can visit these websites:



You can also visit Blocket, a website (mostly Swedish text) that lists privately owned accommodation.

The following information may help you in your online search:

  • stuga means cabin
  • lägenhet means apartment
  • ROK/R.O.K. means "room and kitchen"
  • 1 ROK means 1 kitchen and 1 room that serves as both living room and bedroom
  • 2 ROK means 1 kitchen, 1 living room and 1 bedroom
  • kvm = square metre

Housing Guarantee

When you apply to Dalarna University, it is important that you also register your name with the two local housing companies: Tunabyggen in the town of Borlänge and Kopparstaden in the town of Faun.

For the guarantee to apply, you must register your name with them at the latest at the time of your university application.

What this guarantee means is that you are guaranteed a place to stay at the start of the semester: for most people, this will mean a contract with either Tunabyggen or Kopparstaden; for some people, this will mean accommodation in a privately owned apartment/house or similar; and for the remainder, it will mean temporary accommodation in the wait for something permanent.


Last reviewed: