On successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- define the basic linguistic concepts relevant to the Chinese language
- explain the formation of Chinese words in terms of morpheme, suffix and affix, and the major word-classes in Chinese
- explain the characteristics and major features of Chinese sentence structure
- analyze the structure of Chinese sentences using linguistic terminology and make a comparison between Chinese and English/Swedish sentence structures
- analyze simple Chinese linguistic data independently.
The course provides an introduction to Chinese linguistics, focusing on morphology and syntax. The students are trained to analyze Chinese words and sentences, and accumulate their Chinese vocabulary in the field of Chinese linguistics. Through seminar discussions and essay writing, the students will enhance their ability to learn Chinese and start to do simple research related to Chinese linguistics.
The course uses continuous assessment. Student performance is assessed on the basis of regular written assignments, in-class performance and final pieces of oral and written work.
Forms of Study
Chinese is used as the language of tuition, supported by English. Teaching is carried out in the form of seminars, group work and self-study.
The Swedish grades U - VG
- A minimum of 90 cr in Chinese at undergraduate level, or equivalent knowledge.