On completion of the course students should be able to:
- demonstrate basic insights into variations in the English language and its use in different situations
- demonstrate insights into how written English is used in different ways in different situations and genres, and adapt their written language to the style required by different contexts
- demonstrate knowledge of English language structure and idioms, and apply basic rules of grammar and writing
- edit a text based on others‘ feedback, and read others‘ texts critically and give relevant and constructive comments
- use dictionaries and other resources as tools for continued language development
- document sources and follow different conventions for referencing in linguistics.
Variation in the English language is studied as well as its function in different communicative situations in writing. There will also be exercises in the writing process, peer review, and essay writing, as well as free written production.
Examination for the course is carried out by means of a written examination, tasks to be handed in, plus a linguistic essay and active participation in seminar discussions.
Forms of Study
- General entrance requirements (including English B/English 6 at Swedish upper secondary school) or equivalent knowledge. No knowledge of Swedish is required.