On completion of the course, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a good understanding of common themes in contemporary popular literature in English
- critically analyse popular literature in relation to common conventions of genre and a selection of basic ideas of contemporary literary theory
- effectively communicate and argue for their interpretation of texts, orally and in writing
- independently write an academic essay, based on the guidelines given, which uses formatting conventions.
The course consists of a thematic study of a selection of contemporary popular novels from the English-speaking world, as well as a selection of critical and theoretical approaches to popular literature. By analysing and interpreting texts from several different popular genres, students will also develop their ability to apply relevant literary terminology and theoretical perspectives in their study of the chosen literature. In addition, a selection of literary theories are discussed in order to broaden the critical analysis. Students also write an independent academic essay on a chosen text from the genre of popular literature, in which the students will develop their knowledge in one of the areas studied in the course.
The course consists of obligatory seminars, where students will be continuously evaluated on the basis of active participation and written seminar assignments as well as through the writing of a literature essay. Assignments which are turned in after the stated deadline cannot receive the grade of Pass with Distinction unless there are extenuating circumstances.
Forms of Study
Instruction consists of seminars where the active participation of the students is required through different forms of oral and written assignments. All teaching is conducted in English.
The Swedish grades U - VG
- The course Literature in English, 7.5 ECTS-credits, Undergraduate level 1, or the equiva-lent.