Upon completion of the course, the student shall be able to:
- size a solar heating system
- design the hydraulics and control functions of a solar heating system
- analyse the various methods for protecting the system from damage due to frost and overheating as well as be able to choose a suitable method for the specific application
- design collector fields and the associated pipings
- use a simulation tool to calculate the energy gain of a solar thermal system
- evaluate the influence on system performance by varying system component size and system design.
The next step is to learn about the simulation program Polysun. Students will get a template system in Polysun to modify and to further study the system performance of the case study. By using parametric studies the students optimize the size and dimensions of the system.
Finally the student will write discussions and conclusions with reflections on the project work. Here the decisions made during the design process are debated and the assumptions and limitations in the simulation tool and methods are discussed.
Written home assignment 2, 1.5 credits
System simulation task 3, 3 credits
Written individual home assignment 4, 1 credit
Forms of Study
Lectures, exercises, assignment, seminar.
The Swedish grades U, 3, 4, 5.
Written home assignment 1, U-G.
The final grade of the course is given after an overall assessment made by the examiner.
- Solar Thermal, 7.5 credits, Advanced Level
The course replaces MÖ3023.
Number of examination attempts is limited to five.