Dalarna University follows a 20-week semester calender. There is no official break between the autumn and spring semesters; however, there are normally no classes around Christmas and New Year.
If you are studying full-time in Sweden, then you will take courses each semester that equal 30 credits. Each course has a syllabus providing information about how many credits that specific course is worth.
Most courses are taught concurrently (two or more at a time), while some are taught consecutively (one at a time). The number of classroom hours per week depends on how many courses you are taking: regardless, the overall expected student workload (teaching support, private study, assessment, etc.) will always be about 40 hours per week.
Final examinations are held after each course and not at the end of the semester.
The semester dates listed below include the examination periods.
More information about examinations
Dates: Current Semester
Spring Semester 2023 begins January 16, 2023 and ends June 4, 2023
- Autumn Semester 2023
Begins August 28, 2023 and ends January 14, 2024
- Spring Semester 2024
Begins January 15, 2024 and ends June 2, 2024
- Autumn Semester 2024
Begins September 2, 2024 and ends January 19, 2025
- Spring Semester 2025
Begins January 20, 2025 and ends June 8, 2025
For reasons related to funding and documentation, you may require the specific dates of previous semesters.
- Autumn Semester 2022
Begins August 29, 2022 and ends January 15, 2023
- Autumn Semester 2021
Begins August 30, 2021 and ends January 16, 2022
- Spring Semester 2021
January 18, 2021 and ends June 6, 2021
- Autumn Semester 2020
Begins August 31, 2020 and ends January 17, 2021
- Spring Semester 2020
January 20, 2020 and ends June 7, 2020
Dalarna University combines tradition with technology to offer its students flexibility and quality.
- Labs: lab exercises in small groups to provide students with practice and hands-on experience in what is being taught in class.
- Lectures: for large and small student groups in our modern lecture halls that allow for streaming of lectures to web-based students.
- Online Education: Dalarna University has invetsed greatly in online education and can offer students a complete online learning environment. Dalarna University has its own wiki, while streaming of campus lectures is standard.
- Seminars: for smaller groups so as to encourage and allow for quality interaction between students and teachers.
- Thesis Supervision: regular individual meetings between student and teacher to discuss the progress of thesis work. If you are registered in a course, you have the right to teaching and/or supervision during the time stated for the course. After that time, your right to teaching and/or supervision ends. Contact your teacher if you have questions about this.
For more detailed information about the education system at Swedish universities:
Study in Sweden - Higher Education in Sweden: The Basics
Academic Calendar by Semester
In Sweden, the academic calendar has two semesters (in Swedish termin):
- The autumn semester (hösttermin = ht) that starts late August and ends mid-January.
- The spring semester (vårtermin = vt) that starts mid-January and ends early June.
There are two main semesters at Dalarna University: the spring semester and the autumn semester. A number of public holidays also play a part in the academic calendar.
For more details about public holidays, see Contact and Visit Us