Mats Tegmark is associate professor of English didactics at Dalarna University, where he has taught English-speaking literature and culture, writing, and literary theory. Between 2009 and 2020 he was head of development for Dalarna University’s teacher education. He has a PhD degree in American Literature from Uppsala University and his doctoral thesis is a reader-oriented study of the American writer Tim O’Brien’s Vietnam fiction, In the Shoes of a Soldier: Communication in Tim O’Brien’s Vietnam Narratives (1998). Since then he has done research on constructions of subjectivity in in award-winning American fiction of the 1990s as well as on the teaching and learning of English as a second language. At present he is involved in a joint research project entitled To Read or Not the Read: A Study of Reading Practices in Swedish Compulsory School where he focuses specifically on reading instruction in the subject of L2 English. As former head of development of teacher education Tegmark is also interested in teaching and learning in higher education in general, and student teachers’ development of scientific and professional competence in particular. From 2020 he has a position as senior lecturer in Educational Work and teaches primarily on the doctoral program. During the years 2020-2022 he is also coordinator for the NorTED (Nordic Research School for Teacher Education Relevant Research).
- Arbetsintegrerad lärarutbildning : Verksamhetsförlagd utbildning och validering inför verksamhetsförlagd utbildning vid elva svenska lärosäten åren 2020–2021, Kultur och lärande, 2022. Report. .
- What Motivates Students to Read at School? : Student Views on Reading Practices in Middle and Lower-Secondary School, Journal of research in reading (Print), 2022, Vol. 45, No. 1, 100-118. Article : refereed. .
- Allt fler elever läser allt mindre, Skola och samhälle, 2021, No. 2021-04-21. Article : popular science. .
- The Decrease of School Related Reading in Swedish Compulsory School : Trends Between 2007 and 2017, Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research, 2020. Article : refereed. .
- Läsning och motivation i årskurs 6 och 9 : elevers syn på läspraktiker i och utanför skolan, 2019. Conference paper : refereed. .