Mats Tegmark is associate professor of English didactics at Dalarna University, where he has taught English-speaking literature and culture, writing, and literary theory. Since 2009 he is head of development for Dalarna University’s teacher education. He has a PhD degree in American Literature from Uppsala University and his doctoral thesis is a reader-oriented study of the American writer Tim O’Brien’s Vietnam fiction, In the Shoes of a Soldier: Communication in Tim O’Brien’s Vietnam Narratives (1998). Since then he has done research on constructions of subjectivity in in award-winning American fiction of the 1990s as well as on the teaching and learning of English as a second language. At present he is involved in a large joint research project entitled To Read or Not the Read: A Study of Reading Practices in Swedish Compulsory School where he focuses specifically on reading instruction in the subject of L2 English. As head of development of teacher education Tegmark is also interested in teaching and learning in higher education in general, and student teachers’ development of scientific and professional competence in particular.
- Amount of text read at school and the motivation for reading : a large scale study in grade 6 and 9, 2018. Conference paper : refereed. .
- The decrease of school related reading in compulsory school 2007–2017, 2018. Conference paper : refereed. .
- Hur kan språklärare utforma undervisning som motiverar elever att läsa på ett andra- eller främmande språk? En forskningsbakgrund, 2017. Conference paper. .
- The Price of the Prize : The Construction of "Irish" and "American" Subject Positions in Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes, Part of: Reimagining Ireland, Peter Lang Publishing Group, 2015. Chapter of book. .
- Vad kan den svenska lärarutbildningen lära från internationell lärarutbildningsforskning?, 2015. Conference paper : refereed. .