As an employee, you are entitled to paid vacation time. As well, new employees are entitled to vacation time during their first year of employment. How old you were and which date you began your employment determine how many paid vacation days you receive.
- Your vacation pay equals your regular salary plus a vacation supplement (semestertillägg).
- You must take at least 20 vacation days each year.
- You may save a maximum of 30 vacation days.
- If you are on sick leave for an extended time, this can affect your number of paid vacation days.
Number of Annual Vacation Days
- Up to and including the year you reach the age of 29: 28 days
- From and including the year you reach the age of 30: 31 days
- From and including the year you reach the age of 40: 35 days
Number of Working Hours Affects Number of Vacation Days
If you have only worked a part of the year, you are entitled to fewer paid vacation days. To calculate how many annual vacation days you are entitled to, do the following:
- Divide the number of calendar days you have been employed this year by 365.
- Multiply this by the number of vacation days you can receive based on your age (see above).
Technical and Administrative Staff
- You must take at least 20 vacation days every year.
- Apply for vacation in Primula at least five days in advance of the start of your vacation. For summer vacation (June to August), apply by May 31.
- Your immediate manager will often ask about your vacation plans ahead of such times as the summer and Christmas when many other employees also want to take their vacations.
Academic Staff and Doctoral Students
- Your vacation period begins on the Monday after midsummer and is about six weeks long, depending on your age and the number of vacation days you have accrued.
- If you and your immediate manager decide on a different plan, then submit a separate vacation application in Primula by May 31.
Save Vacation Days
If you have taken 20 vacation days in one year, you can save the remaining days for the following year.
You may save a maximum of 30 vacation days. If you save more than the maximum, you will need to use the excess days before January 1, 2023. After that, they are paid to you as part of your salary.
Change Your Vacation Plans
If your holiday plans change and you no longer want to use the vacation days that your immediate manager has approved, then you need to complete the form “Återtag av semester” (Reclaim Vacation). After you complete this form, your immediate manager must sign it before sending it to the Office of Human Resources.