I am a nurse, senior lecturerand associate professor in Nursing. I am co-leader of the research centerReproductive, Infant and Child Health (RICH) at Dalarna University. I hold aPhD in Medicine with a dissertation of evaluating a culturally tailoredparenting support programme for Somali-born parents living in Sweden.
Since 2018, I have been working as a researcherat the Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences at Uppsala University. Iwork with the research group Child Health and Parenting (Chap), and I have beenresponsible for implementing an EU-Horizon 2020 funded project to evaluate theeffects of school-based interventions to promote the psychosocial health ofrefugee children and young people.
During 2010-2016 I coordinated and developed theweb-based Master's program in Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights atHargeisa and Amoud University in Somalia / Somaliland. Together with colleaguesat DU, we have trained 200 midwifery faculty in Somalia and Bangladesh. In theongoing work in Somaliland, we are implementing the WHO's near-miss method tosystematically follow up the interventions that the health care systeminitiates when pregnant women with complications enter the hospital.
My research areas mainly concern the developmentand implementation of a culturally tailored parenting support programs for migrantand refugee families, as well as school interventions to promote the mentalhealth of refugee and migrant children. I am currently the co-supervisor ofthree doctoral students.
- ‘Let us understand each other and work together in the child's best interest’ – Exploring the narratives of newly arrived refugee parents in Sweden, International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2021, Vol. 81, 226-235. Article : refereed. .
- Evaluation of a school-based intervention to promote mental health of refugee youth in Sweden (The RefugeesWellSchool Trial) : study protocol for a cluster randomized controlled trial., Trials, 2021, Vol. 22, No. 1. Article : refereed. .
- The cost-effectiveness of a culturally tailored parenting program : estimating the value of multiple outcomes., Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation, 2021, Vol. 19, No. 1. Article : refereed. .
- Dialectical Processes in Parent-child Relationships among Somali Families in Sweden, Journal of Child and Family Studies, 2021, Vol. 30, No. 7, 1752-1762. Article : refereed. .
- Impact of a culturally tailored parenting programme on the mental health of Somali parents and children living in Sweden : a longitudinal cohort study, BMJ Open, 2021, Vol. 11, No. 8. Article : refereed. .