I am a nurse, senior lecturerand associate professor in Nursing. I am co-leader of the research centerReproductive, Infant and Child Health (RICH) at Dalarna University. I hold aPhD in Medicine with a dissertation of evaluating a culturally tailoredparenting support programme for Somali-born parents living in Sweden.
Since 2018, I have been working as a researcherat the Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences at Uppsala University. Iwork with the research group Child Health and Parenting (Chap), and I have beenresponsible for implementing an EU-Horizon 2020 funded project to evaluate theeffects of school-based interventions to promote the psychosocial health ofrefugee children and young people.
During 2010-2016 I coordinated and developed theweb-based Master's program in Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights atHargeisa and Amoud University in Somalia / Somaliland. Together with colleaguesat DU, we have trained 200 midwifery faculty in Somalia and Bangladesh. In theongoing work in Somaliland, we are implementing the WHO's near-miss method tosystematically follow up the interventions that the health care systeminitiates when pregnant women with complications enter the hospital.
My research areas mainly concern the developmentand implementation of a culturally tailored parenting support programs for migrantand refugee families, as well as school interventions to promote the mentalhealth of refugee and migrant children. I am currently the co-supervisor ofthree doctoral students.
- A lack of reproductive agency in facility-based births makes home births a first choice regardless of potential risks and medical needs : a qualitative study among multiparous women in Somaliland, Global Health Action, 2022, Vol. 15, No. 1. Article : refereed. .
- Incidence and causes of severe maternal outcomes in Somaliland using the sub-Saharan Africa maternal near-miss criteria : A prospective cross-sectional study in a national referral hospital., International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, 2022. Article : refereed. .
- Experience of discrimination during COVID-19 pandemic : the impact of public health measures and psychological distress among refugees and other migrants in Europe., BMC Public Health, 2022, Vol. 22, No. 1. Article : refereed. .
- Perceptions of family planning among some Somali men living in Sweden : A phenomenographic study, Sexual & Reproductive HealthCare, 2022, Vol. 32. Article : refereed. .
- Mental Health of Refugee and Non-refugee Migrant Young People in European Secondary Education : The Role of Family Separation, Daily Material Stress and Perceived Discrimination in Resettlement., Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 2022, Vol. 51, 848-870. Article : refereed. .