I got my Th.D. in the history of religions from Uppsala University in 2007. I have been working at Dalarna University since 1996, where I am presently associate professor in religious studies.
My research mainly concerns the early history of Islam with emphasis on the formative period of Shi`ism. At present, I am working with a three year research project on this subject, financed by Riksbankens jubileumsfond until 2022. I have also written about theoretical issues within the history of religions and the didactics of religion, and I have been involved in a project about the work against violent extremism in Sweden.
- Emerging Patterns of Authority in Early Shiʿism : Mukhtar’s Use of the Aesthetics of Persuasion, Shii Studies Review, 2019, Vol. 3, 1-32. Article : refereed. .
- Mukhtār and the Mahdī : a critical inquiry into the sources, DIN - Tidsskrift for religion og kultur, 2018, No. 1, 138-157. Article : refereed. .
- Myth, ritual, and the early development of Shiite identity, Intellectual History of the Islamicate World, 2018, Vol. 6, No. 3. Article : refereed. .
- Att lägga rälsen medan man kör : En utvärdering av kunskapshusens arbete i fyra pilotkommuner - Örebro, Göteborg, Borlänge och Stockholm, Interkulturellt utvecklingscentrum Dalarna (IKUD), 2017. Report. .
- The Date of the Story of the Tawwābūn, Studia Islamica, 2017, Vol. 112, No. 2, 175-205. Article : refereed. .