BethAnne Paulsrud holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Child Development, with an Education emphasis, (San Diego State University); a Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction degree, Literacy emphasis (University of San Diego); and a one-year Master degree in English linguistics (Dalarna University). She earned her PhD in Educational Sciences in Language and Language Development at Stockholm University in 2014 (link to thesis).
Dr. Paulsrud has many years of experience as a preschool teacher, mother tongue teacher and primary school teacher in Sweden. She has been teaching at Dalarna University since 2006, both in the English Department and in the teacher education programme. Her courses have included English for primary school teachers, sociolinguistics, and translation theory, as well as in-service training for teachers and supervision of degree theses. She was a guest lecturer in the Department of Linguistics at University of the Western Cape in Cape Town, South Africa, as part of a Linnaeus-Palme exchange in April, 2017.
Dr. Paulsrud recently completed a three-year postdoctoral research project at the Centre for Research on Bilingualism at Stockholm University, investigating national curricula in Sweden and Finland in a joint research project with the University of Helsinki. Dr. Paulsrud’s current research interests include translanguaging, linguistic ethnography, teacher education, multilingualism in education, education policy, family language policy, English-medium instruction, English in Sweden, and language ideology. She has been invited to speak about her research at the Swedish National Agency for Education, Södertörn University and Umeå University. For more on her current research projects, see the links below.
Recent publications include Transspråkande i svenska utbildningssammanhang [Translanguaging in Swedish education contexts], edited by Paulsrud, B., Rosén, J., Straszer, B. & Wedin, Å. (2018, Lund: Studentlitteratur) and New Perspectives on Translanguaging and Education, edited by Paulsrud, B., Rosén, J., Straszer, B. & Wedin, Å. (2017, Bristol: Multilingual Matters). Dr. Paulsrud is a co-editor of The Journal of Home Language Research (JHLR) (http://ikt.edu.uu.se/jhlm/) and a peer reviewer for Language & Education, Language Policy, Applied Linguistics, Social Inclusion and Critical Studies in Education as well as for book manuscripts for Routledge and Multilingual Matters. Other publications include a blog on her first edited volume on translanguaging (here) and a debate article on multilingualism in schools (here). For more about Dr. Paulsrud’s publications, see the DiVA page on the DU library site.
- Translanguaging and language ideologies in education : Northern and Southern perspectives, Part of: Handbook of the Changing World Language Map, Springer, 2019. Chapter of book. .
- Just a little plus : The CLIL Student Perspective, Part of: Investigating Content and Language Integrated LearningInsights from Swedish High Schools, Multilingual Matters, 2019. Chapter of book. .
- Mapping CLIL in Sweden, Part of: CLIL in Sweden: A longitudinal investigation at senior high school level, Multilingual Matters, 2019. Chapter of book. .
- Everyday translanguaging and the young child., 2019. Conference paper : refereed. .
- Transspråkande i svenska utbildningssammanhang, Studentlitteratur AB, 2018. .