Tuesday-Thursday, October 26-28 in Lecture Hall 3, Campus Falun and Zoom: https://du-se.zoom.us/j/63147964187
Tuesday, October 26
African Studies MA Thesis Examinations
9.15 - 10.30:
- Chair: Lars Berge
Elisabeth Perra: ”Female Hip-Hop in the Sufi Community of Taalibe Bay” (Senegal)
Opponent: Silvia Tami
Supervisor: Torsten Hylén
10.45 - 12.00:
- Chair: Nadia Lebedeva
Silvia Tami: “Celestial Citizenship: African women in two Evangelical Churches of Bologna”
Opponent: Elisabeth Perra
Supervisor: Lars Berge
13.00 - 13.15:
- Introduction: Lars Berge, DUCAS, and Prof. Holger Weiss, History, Åbo Akademi Univ. Finland.
13.15 - 14.00:
- Contesting Empire. Presentation of the research topic. Patrik Hettula, Doctoral candidate, History, Åbo Akademi Univ.
14.00 - 15.00:
- Seminar. Article to be discussed: “Eurafrican Mobility and Encounters with Race, ca. 1880–1920” (see Learn AS3022).
15.00 - 15.15:
15.15 - 16.00:
- "Shifting Rhetoric. Presentation of the research topic". Martins Kwazema, Doctoral Candidate, Futures Studies, Åbo Akademi (Background reading: “The problem of the present in West Africa: Introducing a conceptual framework” (Learn).
16.15 - 17.15:
- Seminar: Chapter to be discussed: “Discourse/Worldview” (Learn AS3022).
Wednesday, October 27
09.30 - 10.30:
- "Muslim NGOs in Ghana". Presentation of the research topic. Holger Weiss.
10.45 - 11.30:
- Seminar: Chapter to be discussed: “Moving Mountains: A changing landscape of Muslim NGOs and the empowerment of Muslim communities in Ghana” (on Learn).
11.45 - 12.45:
"Environmental history of northern Ghana". Holger Weiss.
13.00 - 14.00:
14.15 - 16.00:
- "Ghana and contemporary politics" (preliminary title). Prof. Jan Prouza, Political Science, Univ. of Hradec Králové, Czech Republic.
Thursday, October 28
10.15 - 12.00:
- "Small-scale gold mining in Ghana". Iva Sojková, Doctoral Candidate Political Science, Univ. of Hradec Králové, Czech Republic.