On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- display familiarity with important aspects of the cultural history and traditions of Ancient China (up to 19th century), including: philosophy, religion, arts and architecture, family/marriage, festivals, cuisine and science/medicine
- read and comprehend articles (in English and in Chinese) about these aspects of Chinese culture and traditions
- master a set of key vocabulary in the above areas, which will enable them to analyze and debate such topics
- use Chinese to express their thoughts and opinions about related topics orally and in writing.
This course covers a wide range of topics related to Chinese traditional culture. The course content is studied in chronological order as well as in thematic organization. In addition, this course offers training in oral presentation skills and writing skills.
This course uses continuous assessment of students‘ oral and written performance. There is also a final written examination and a final project.
Forms of Study
Both Chinese and English are used as the language of tuition. Teaching is done in the form of seminars and group activities.
The Swedish grades U - VG
- A minimum of 90 cr in Chinese at undergraduate level, or equivalent knowledge.
2013-11-04 (main field of study added)
2020-07-03 (literature list removed)