On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- describe the development of Japanese popular culture since WWII
- demonstrate basic knowledge of the cultural and economic conditions for the Japanese manga and anime industry
- identify different forms of expression and narrative in the historical development of Japanese manga and anime genres
- discuss the history and background of how Japanese manga and anime have been exported abroad.
After a brief overview of the development of Japanese popular culture since the Second World War up to the present-day, the formation of the Japanese market of manga and anime will be examined, as well as the development of these and related genres. Otaku culture and similar phenomena will also be studied, at the same time as some concepts and theories related to the field are introduced. The exportation of, and acceptance outside Japan for, such cultural expressions in various forms will also be discussed.
Forms of Study
The course consists of lectures and seminars. The main languages of instruction are English and Japanese.
The Swedish grades U–VG.
- General entry requirements and English 6. No knowledge of Swedish is required