- demonstrate a good understanding of modern as well as contemporary children’s and young adult literature in English by critically analyzing and interpreting a selection of texts
- orally and in writing communicate and argue for their own interpretations making use of a central literary concepts.
- orally and in writing account for and respond to scholarly discussions on the study of childhood and children’s and young adult literature
This course treats a selection of modern and contemporary children’s and young adult works from the English-speaking world. It introduces literary terminology for the analyses of the works as well as theoretical perspectives to childhood and the study of children’s and young adult literature. These broaden the understanding of the genre and increase the awareness of how the perception of children is created and transformed, and the implications of this for debates over both childhood and children’s and young adult literature.
Assignments which are turned in after the stated deadline cannot receive the grade Pass with Distinction unless there are extenuating circumstances.
Forms of Study
- General entrance requirements and English B at Swedish upper secondary school, or equivalent knowledge.
- No knowledge of Swedish is required.