Credit Transfer and Assessment of Prior Learning

Dalarna University students have the right to receive credit for previous studies: this is known as "credit transfer" and applies for studies at both Swedish as well as foreign institutes of higher education.

If you have successfully completed courses at another institution of higher education, either in or outside Sweden, then you are often entitled to receive credit for your studies that can be applied to the degree that you are taken at Dalarna University.

For an assessment to be made, you must be registered and be pursuing studies at Dalarna University.

You need to make an application (see form below), which is then processed by an administrator in the Student Affairs Office. A decision will be made within two months of receipt of a complete application and will be sent to the address you provide in your application.

If you are granted credit, then you will receive a document that you will need to keep safe so that you can submit it with your application for a degree certification upon completion of your studies. If you are denied credits, you can appeal the decision.

Note: you must include a copy of the decision on credit transfer when you apply for your degree certificate

Credits for Studies at a Swedish University

If you have taken credits within a course but not completed that course, you can still receive credits: you apply for credit transfer. There must be no overlap in course content.

Credits from a Foreign University

An assessment of credits can be made on courses you have taken at a foreign university. In this case, the credits must be transferred into Swedish university credits. These credits will be included as a footnote in your degree certificate.

Assessment of Prior Learning

If you lack formal entry requirements but feel you have acquired the necessary prerequisites to qualify for a programme/course, then you can apply for assessment of your prior learning. This may include work experience.

To demonstrate your collected competence, you must send in supporting documentation. This should detail your previous studies at different levels, experiences from the workplace or from involvement in organisations, or other activities that demonstrate your capabilities.

To apply for assessment of your prior experience, follow these steps:

  1. Apply for your programme(s)/course(s) of interest on
  2. Complete the form Application for Assessment of Prior Learning.
  3. Upload the form and documents to support your prior learning as described above: please follow these instructions on how to upload documents.

Your Application for Assessment of Prior Learning will then be processed by the Admissions Office at Dalarna University. Each application is reviewed separately and the assessment is individual. You will receive a response in your account (My Pages). Do not send anything directly to Dalarna University.


Graduation Office
023-77 80 00
Last reviewed: