First Cycle Level 1
School of Languages and Media Studies
This course can be included in the following main field(s) of study:
1. Media and Communication Studies
Progression indicator within (each) main field of study:
Approved by the Faculty School of Languages and Media Studies, 22 April 2008.
This syllabus is valid from 25 August 2008.
Revised, 29 August 2011.
Revision is valid from 29 August 2011.
27 November 2012
Learning OutcomesOn completion of the courses the student will be able to
· demonstrate insights in the effects of globalization on media content
· describe theories of the relationship between globalisation and cultural industry
· demonstrate an understanding of the difference between the theoretical concepts place and space and describe their importance for the sense of identity
· analyse various media genres with the help of theories of place, space and globalisation, thereby demonstrating understanding for the applicability of the theories
· demonstrate skills in searching for and evaluating knowledge of scientific importance for the course’s fields of study
Course ContentThis course examines the contemporary media from a globalisation perspective. There is a specific focus on the influence of media regarding the impact of physical places as well as virtual spaces. The effects of globalisation on the development of media and culture are studied from a variety of theories and popular media products are analysed.
AssessmentThe course is examined through continuous assessment of seminar activities and a final written take-home exam.
Forms of StudyIn campus courses, students participate in lectures, seminars and group work. In distance-learning courses, lectures and seminars are conducted primarily in digital form using e-mail, the Internet and other channels of communication. There are few physical meetings at Högskolan Dalarna, but students are expected to maintain continuous contact over the Internet with teachers, advisors and other students. Participation requires a computer with an Internet connection.
GradesThe Swedish grades U - VG
- Requirements for this course is MK1024 Intercultural Communication undergraduate level 1, 7.5 higher education credits at Högskolan Dalarna or equivalent knowledge.
- Billingham, P.. (2000) Sensing the city through television : urban identities in fictional drama. Bristol : Intellect. (187 s). ISBN 1-84150-018-6
- Couldry, N., McCarthy, A.. (2004) MediaSpace : place, scale and culture in a media age. London : Routledge. (303 s). ISBN 0-415-29174-7
- Fiske John. (1989) Reading the Popular. London: Routledge. (223 s).
Note: eller senare upplaga
- Lash, S., Lury, C.. (2006) Global culture industry. Cambridge : Polity. (240 s). ISBN 978-0-7456-2482-2